Friday, March 4, 2016

Don't forget to Hug A G.I. Today

Today is a day we can all embrace, every March 4th we recognize National Hug A G.I. Day. Around 1944 President Franklin Roosevelt signed a bill that became known as the G.I. Bill; Servicemen’s Readjustment Act. From there, there was no straying away from the initials as Hasbro trademarked their G.I. Joe action figure based off the comic strip in the 60’s.

History of the G.I. initials:
G.I. is a well know term referring to those serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. Sometime during World War 1, the initials G.I. referred to soldiers in short for “Government Issue” or “General Issue;” followed by the birth of the G.I. Joe comic strip issued in Yank magazine on June 17, 1942.

#RiOrtho encourages you to participate:

To recognize our brave soldiers, National Hug A G.I. Day was created to show thanks for their dedication and bravery. Do you know a G.I. ? If so, be sure to take a moment to give them a hug and say thank you today! Don’t forget to post a picture & tag us in it if you do! Won’t be able to see the G.I. you know in person? That’s ok! Send him or her a virtual hug via email or text!

No comments:

Post a Comment